Coming home from war is never easy. As I returned from World War II I knew that I was going to be a different man than when I went to war. I found more compassion for others; however, I also developed a way to hide my compassionate, gentle, caring side of myself. With a family now, I am disappointed that the war left me unable to really show my children that I care about them. Cal must think that I am a terrible father because I didn't talk to him while he was in Grand Marias with Uncle Emil. He must think that I am selfish for only caring about my job driving the streetcar, but it is all that I have to live for besides my family.
I hope that they can see my gentle, caring, and compassionate side this Christmas as I do a good deed by freeing McClusky's dog from its miserable home. It will be sent to a place where the people car and the love flows into that poor dog.
Dear Mr. Gant,
ReplyDeleteYou are quite honorable. I think you show both a deep burden and a deep love for you family. I hope that you feel at peace about your past and about your family.
Cal's Central High School English Teacher
Do not give up hope. Hope is the one thing that can get us through everything.
ReplyDelete